Saturday, November 29, 2008

Review - Zen and the Art of Vampires by Katie MacAlister

Zen and the Art of Vampires
Dark Ones, Book 6
Katie MacAlister
Signet
December 2, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-451-22560-3

Book Blurb:
White picket fences can be dangerous to vampires.
Sometimes a woman's gotta choose...


Pia Thomason doesn't have a typical life, but she wants one. The husband, the kids, the house in the suburbs...With her fortieth birthday looming, she decides to do something drastic, and takes off on a singles' tour through romantic Europe. But the few guys on the trip leave much to be desired - unlike the two men Pia sees in a small Icelandic town. Handsome, mysterious, and very dangerous…Just the sight of them puts her in a dither. When their paths cross again, Pia knows one thing for certain: Where vampires are concerned, love isn't the only thing at stake.

My thoughts:
For Pia Thomason, living in a town outside of Seattle offers little in the way of dating. She’s decided to add a little spice to her otherwise dull life and take a romantic tour of Europe with a singles group. While their group has few men to choose from, Pia meets up with some gorgeous men who appear to be visiting as well.

What starts out as time spent with a handsome stranger, plunges Pia into the midst of an ongoing battle between vampires known as Dark Ones, and an order whose goal it is to cleanse the world of their existence. To complicate things, both sides believe that she’s someone Pia is sure that she isn’t. The quiet life she lived such a short time ago will never be the same.

This is the sixth book in the Dark Ones series. Ms. MacAlister introduces readers to an average woman who is suddenly dropped into the extraordinary world of vampires and those who would see them destroyed. Zen and the Art of Vampires has all of the paranormal action, romance and humor that fans of the author look for in her books. This is a fast moving read with sizzling chemistry and a touch of suspense.

To learn more about the Dark Ones, please visit Ms. MacAlister’s website: Here

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Great review, Kimberly! This is one of my favorite authors, her stories are funny and lovely. :)

Kimberly Swan said...

Thanks Wendy! :) They are funny, and I love that at some point during her stories she always makes me laugh. Hope you get a chance to read it soon!

Wendy said...

Have you read her Dragon series? Ashling and her dog, Jim? Ohmygod, hilarious! I've been meaning to read her new Silver Dragon series and I hope I do soon and this one too! Love her stuff. :)

SciFiGuy said...

Sometimes I get the titles all twisted up. For some reason I thought this was a reissue of an older book and am glad you posted this review. Katie's books are always funny and charming.

Kimberly Swan said...

Wendy - I sure have, and loved them as well! :)

SciFiGuy - With so many authors coming out with 'snappy' titles it's sometimes difficult to keep track of them. I'll be watching for a review from you. :)

jessewave said...

Terrific review, as usual Kimberly. I wish that Katie wrote standalone books so that I could check out her writing!

Kimberly Swan said...

Thanks Wave, and you'll be happy to know that she does! A few that I've read of her stand-alones are: Improper English, Men in Kilts, The Corset Diaries and Hard Days Knight. Check them out when you get a chance. :)

samantha.1020 said...

I'm adding the first book in this series to my TBR list. I love your site!

Kimberly Swan said...

Hi Samantha - I think that you'll really enjoy the series, it's a lot of fun. Thank you! :)

Enchanted by Books said...

Sounds good! I know she's super popular but I still haven't read any of her books besides the one by her as Kate Marsh.

Kimberly Swan said...

They are wonderful books and she adds such a great touch of humor to them. You'll have to add her to your list. :)